Second Harvest Food Bank of Northeast Tennessee (SHFBNT) feeds the hungry by securing and distributing food and engaging the community in solving hunger. SHFBNT has led hunger relief in the eight-county region since 1986. Counties served include Carter, Greene, Hancock, Hawkins, Johnson, Sullivan, Unicoi and Washington. SHFBNT is a 501(c) 3 non-profit organization and an affiliate of Feeding America, the nation’s food bank network.
Overview of various types of programs and services provided by SHFBNT:
Second Harvest Food Bank of Northeast Tennessee (SHFBNT) secures food donations and purchases food at reduced cost for the purpose of providing hunger relief. Food is received and stored at SHFBNT’s 112,000 sq. ft. warehouse in Kingsport, Tennessee and distributed to people in need through over 140 partner agencies and the food bank’s direct service programs. During FY20 July 1, 2019 – June 30, 2020) SHFBNT distributed enough food to provide over 10 million meals (equivalent to 12.1 million pounds of food) providing hunger relief for an average of 45,000 people monthly.
The food bank’s direct service programs help fill gaps in hunger relief. They include:
• Food for Kids Backpack program supplies a bag of easily prepared meals and snacks for chronically hungry children to take home from school on weekends and during school breaks. Over 4,829 children 13 school districts are served.
• Summer Food Service Program and Child Hunger Mobile Pantry provide weekday meals and family food boxes to over 3,700 food insecure children and families during the summer.
• Fresh Produce Distribution focuses on securing and distributing more produce through Second Harvest warehouse and delivery programs. 533 people served each month.
• Mobile Food Pantry delivers food directly to people with little or no access to the food assistance they need. Over 2,500 people served each month.
• Senior Grocery Program is an extension of the Mobile Food Pantry that distributes food to low income seniors increasing their food access. An average of 400 seniors receive food assistance each month,
• Project Thanksgiving provides a turkey and a food box for families to prepare a complete Thanksgiving meal. Over 6,000 families are assisted in this annual campaign sponsored by a local radio station.
For every $1 donated Second Harvest Food Bank of Northeast Tennessee provides an average of four meals. Second Harvest food Bank of Northeast Tennessee has a 4-star Charity Navigator rating.
For additional information on all the food bank’s programs and services visit www.netfoodbank.org